The CitiTots Method based on the Creative Curriculum* which focuses on interest areas. Its teaching approach is based on the foundation of having an understanding of child development and learning theory. Learning takes place during play activities involving learning centers such as discovery, art, music and movement, sand and water, library/reading, imaginative/pretend play, blocks, toys and games, kitchen/cookshop and computers.
There are five fundamental beliefs that Creative Curriculum is based on that are strongly supported by theoretical and empirical research. They are as follows:
- Constructive and purposeful play is the best vehicle for meaningful learning.
- The development of social competence is a key focus of the preschool years.
- Relationships are the foundation for learning.
- Curriculum and assessment must be linked
- Families are essential partner's in children's learning.